PandaKnifeTree

Our Development Forum

Loot & Pvp

Loot & Pvp

Postby evilgrin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:19 pm

My 2 favorites things:)

I like finding alot of loot, what type of item system are you guys thinking of? I hate the any game where you run out of things to find, so random stats are always a little more fun. Will players be able to trade with each other? Something I also hate about some of the bigger games now.

I like the combat direction, looks like your really going to need to pay attention. Should make for a lot of fun in pvp. Will you guys keep the TTK short or long? Will we get loot from other players also? Are you going to have different rules for different servers?

256 players per game? Will we constantly be remaking new chars in other worlds to play with friends? Guilds?
evilgrin

Re: Loot & Pvp

Postby organista » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:55 pm

evilgrin wrote:My 2 favorites things:)

Will players be able to trade with each other? Something I also hate about some of the bigger games now.

Did i get it wrong or you hate that players can trade stuff? :D

And about the world, correct me if i'm wrong, there will be one world (server) with "shards" of a 256 players capacity each?
organista

Postby evilgrin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:08 pm

I hate that you can't trade stuff in alot of other games now, like diablo.

So we will end up in different instances of the same world?
evilgrin

Postby organista » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Right, but Diablo isn't true MMO.
organista

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Hey, ok a quick reply from me:

Loot

So I'll start with the bad. We are very unlikely to enable players to trade anything. Let me explain our reasoning:

When you allow players to trade, getting the best gear almost inevitably becomes a task of either becoming the best trader or grinding boring items as a low equipped player while over geared players farm end game. While some people may very much enjoy this kind of gameplay it's not for everyone and our game is about killing monsters. Kill the hardest monsters, explore the hardest areas, get the best loot!

1 slight addendum to this is crafting. UP does support crafting but our goal with it is to create journeys through the game world with our recipes. We have an item locator feature that will allow you to create a quest to find any crafting ingredient so we're hoping we can use this to add epic end game journeys through extremely hard areas for the real hardcore player.

Our general ethos is that if you want the best item you should complete the hardest most gruelling content, and your item should be a sign of your achievement to other players!

PvP

While we hadn't originally intended to add PvP to UP I think we've seen enough interest to at least prototype it and see how it is. I'll put a thread up in the dev section in the next day or 2 and throw out some ideas and explain some technical limitations, then we can chat about what might be cool!
Pete
Site Admin

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:08 pm

256 players per game? Will we constantly be remaking new chars in other worlds to play with friends? Guilds?

256 player servers don't bind your character. We'll dynamically bring up more servers to meet demand and shut some down during off peak time if they empty out your character isn't bound to a given server so you can switch between them.

The 256 limit is intended to be high enough to always be able to find space in a game for you and your friends / guild and to keep the server populated with random people to meet and quest with. There may be some scope for raising it if we find it is overly limiting in this regard but based on our experience with the game so far I think it'll probably not be a big problem
Pete
Site Admin

Postby organista » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:59 am

Pete wrote:Hey, ok a quick reply from me:

Loot

When you allow players to trade, getting the best gear almost inevitably becomes a task of either becoming the best trader or grinding boring items as a low equipped player while over geared players farm end game. While some people may very much enjoy this kind of gameplay it's not for everyone and our game is about killing monsters. Kill the hardest monsters, explore the hardest areas, get the best loot!

That can work, but how rare these items will drop? What the drop rate would be on them? Let us assume that we just killed the strongest monster in the game, best drop would be e.g. guaranteed per party/per player or totally random? If exchange will be banned, those items, the best items should be very rare, otherwise, people will gain them quickly and get bored.

In such a system, PvP must play an important role. Players need competitions in endgame.
organista

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I want to continue discussions of endgame in the Dev section of the forum since I want to avoid posting unfinished ideas that are unlikely to make the final game here.

I will mention though that we'll almost certainly have some degree of raid locking (That is to say you'll only be able to complete some encounters once a day / 3 days / week).

Anyway I'll post a couple of new threads in dev now!
Pete
Site Admin

Postby evilgrin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:26 pm

I don't care too much about "raids", if its like traditional MMOs, I just fall asleep after awhile. If we are talking small group dungeon crawls that is alot of fun. Will you have rare mob spawns to look for?

PVP is important IMO, keeps alot of interest in games longterm. You can limit it to certain areas, with dungeons and stuff in it to encourage people to go there.
evilgrin

Postby Pete » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm unsure about rare spawns it's definitely something we'd consider at a later stage of development but for now I think we'd be best to focus on getting the core mechanics right! Our standard party size at the moment is 4 players and I think that works well. You can ofc hang out and fight with as many players as you like in the over world but for bosses even "raid" bosses I imagine we'll stick to 4 players for now.

When I use the term raid I'm more referring to content with a time lock that is intended to be extremely difficult and at times impossible until you've completed preceding encounters to gear up!
Pete
Site Admin

Postby evilgrin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Pete wrote:I'm unsure about rare spawns it's definitely something we'd consider at a later stage of development but for now I think we'd be best to focus on getting the core mechanics right! Our standard party size at the moment is 4 players and I think that works well. You can ofc hang out and fight with as many players as you like in the over world but for bosses even "raid" bosses I imagine we'll stick to 4 players for now.

When I use the term raid I'm more referring to content with a time lock that is intended to be extremely difficult and at times impossible until you've completed preceding encounters to gear up!

Gotcha 4 players is perfect.
evilgrin

Return to Feedback and discuss