PandaKnifeTree

Our Development Forum

Naming our game!

Naming our game!

Postby Pete » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 pm

We're currently up in the air over what to call our game. We used the name "Legends of Firestorm" during our kickstarter campaign and "Ultimate party" internally as a working title.

we feel "Legends of Firestorm" is perhaps a little ambiguous due to the superhero of the same name, and the web address for Ultimate Party is sadly unavailable.

Other ideas currently floating around are:
Tales of Blade and Fire
Blade and Fire
Party Peril
Rampaging Raid

I'll add more ideas here as we come up with them and please post any suggestions below and i'll add them to this post. Once we've collected a set of suggestions I'll put a poll up!
Pete
Site Admin

Re: Naming our game!

Postby MaskedChimp » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:41 pm

It's really hard for me to suggest a name without playing the game or knowing the story before. What I can say is that I think nice names are usually directly related to the story of the game.

I'll post again if I think about something.
MaskedChimp

Postby Mumbling Mute » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:41 pm

You know... I find a lot of those names sound like an indistinct mash-up of words from fantasy names (ala Advanced Warfare Fighter (or whatever the latest FPS is called.)) The rest of them sound like something I would play with my 5 year old cousin (If I had a five year old cousin... which I don't).

And while it's hard to suggest a name without knowing anything about the story, it's probably a good idea to use that story as a source for your games name and to keep it brief. Long names that seem like a random jumble of fantasy words don't lend strength to how memorable the game is. Thinking back over previous ARPG's I've played, all the successful ones actually had names that made sense for their (sometimes very brief) story.

Diablo = Kill Diablo
Titan Quest = a quest to kill titans
Path of Exile = You're an exile, this is your path
Fallout = There is lots of radiation (yeah, I know. Not a ARPG but still... you can see where I'm going with this.)

So unless your game is going to be about a place called firestorm and involve a lot of legends, legends of firestorm seems... needlessly verbose/pointless/meaningless.
But that's just my two cents on the matter.

Edit for typo*
Mumbling Mute

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:53 am

Hey thanks for the feed back, This thread was originally created during our last round of live tests sadly our forum was rather dead at the time.

In the previous name idea (Legends of Firestorm) the Firestorm part was going to refer to the name of our game world however since then the game has come on a long way and changed quite a bit.

Things will probably be a bit quiet for the next few months as we continue to finish of things for our next set of public releases behind the scenes after which we'll hopefully be posting a bunch more cool stuff.
Pete
Site Admin

Postby sixoo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Pete wrote: We used the name "Legends of Firestorm" during our kickstarter campaign and "Ultimate party" internally as a working title.

do you think to open another channel to gain money? i didn't hear about your kickstarter campaign, would be glad to donate something.

about the title, "Firestorm" only (simple like "runescape") is too simple? but "legends of firestorm" sounds good too. "blade and fire" is good but too generic. Heroes of Firestorm? but there are too many "Heroes of" around. gonna vote for Legends of firestorm, if you make a poll.
sixoo

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Hey sixoo welcome to our forum.
sixoo wrote:do you think to open another channel to gain money? i didn't hear about your kickstarter campaign, would be glad to donate something.

We ran a kickstarter a little over a year ago but we failed to get much publicity. Also TBH I think the games still a little unfinished to really be at it's best for gaining public interest! For now we'll just continue as we are (possibly part time so we can fund ourselves) and work on some awesome eye catching content for getting people interested when we're ready to release.

sixoo wrote:about the title, "Firestorm" only (simple like "runescape") is too simple? but "legends of firestorm" sounds good too. "blade and fire" is good but too generic. Heroes of Firestorm? but there are too many "Heroes of" around. gonna vote for Legends of firestorm, if you make a poll.

I think our biggest worry with anything "Firestorm" related is that there's a superhero called Firestorm and we want to avoid any incorrect associations. We're currently working hard on the story and quest content of the game so hopefully once that's a bit more final a name will be a bit easier!
Pete
Site Admin

Postby evilgrin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Party peril and rampaging raid are way to generic, so is ultimate party. Finding a good name is very hard, I'll post something once I get an idea.
evilgrin

Postby organista » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:23 am

As others have noted, it is harder to come up with a name without knowing the history of the game. In this case, you as the creator, have the best idea of how the game looks and how it should be called. Despite this, looking at your attachment to Firestorm in the name, I came up with this:
Legends of Fireswept
Fireravaged Online
Fireseized

nothing fancy, but it might help, who knows :)
organista

Postby ilich » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:35 pm

Tales of Blade and Fire
Blade and Fire
Party Peril
Rampaging Raid

This sound very generic actually. I think "Legends of Firestorm" is okay but could be better. It's really hard to suggest a name without any info on the plot. ;)
ilich

Postby Pete » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:56 am

A few more ideas from me based around the plot :D Sorry I know that's not really fair!

LegacyOfTheForgotten
LegacyOfTheForgottenChild
LegacyOfTheForgottenCrew
LegacyOfTheForgottenShip
LegacyOfForgottenPower
OriginOfTheBeast
DreamOfTheDevourer
ChildOfTheDevourer
Pete
Site Admin

Postby evilgrin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Legacy of the Forgotten is a good start IMO.
evilgrin

Postby MaskedChimp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:36 pm

evilgrin wrote:Legacy of the Forgotten is a good start IMO.

Agreed
MaskedChimp

Postby Pete » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:07 pm

I've registered http://www.legacyoftheforgotten.com/ and http://www.legacyoftheforgotten.net/ as I'm a bit paranoid about loosing domains the moment you have a reasonable idea! :D That's not to say this is definitely the final name but I think it's a likely candidate. As ever thanks for the feedback it's a huge help!
Pete
Site Admin

Postby ilich » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:33 pm

evilgrin wrote:Legacy of the Forgotten is a good start IMO.

Yeah. This one sounds really good!
ilich

Return to Feedback and discuss